Hello Developers 🖐🖐
In this article, I'm discussing why I don't use LinkedIn much and why you should also stop using it. LinkedIn is used by millions of humans, as I am a developer I can only write about the perspective of a developer. Disclaimer everything in this article will be from the point of view of a developer.
Why you should have a LinkedIn account.
First and foremost, let's discuss why everybody tells you to have a LinkedIn account.
- You will gain exposure to Hiring Managers and Recruiters
- You will get offers from your LinkedIn profile.
- You will get to know about Job Postings.
- You can gain social proof of your skills and talents
- LinkedIn can help rank your name on Google
These points seem fair and promising, but this is not the reality of LinkedIn today.
The Reality Check 🙀 !
It's all fake, fake, and fake. Yeah, you heard me right. It's all fake, what I see whenever I open my LinkedIn. MOTIVATION, Some random dude did some small thing and shared it by over-exaggeration, someone likes or comments on something, random job posting, which I would never apply to.
What I hate about LinkedIn
MOTIVATION, the number of motivational quotes that are there in my feed just makes me irritating. There are more people wanting to motivate than the number of people who want to get motivated.
Job alerts, I wonder who is posting tens of jobs on a daily basis. And the information about the job is useless. They want you to have the knowledge of all the programming languages from the time they are made 🙂🙂🙂. And the cherry on the cake it the pay range is not disclosed by the company. If the employers of LinkedIn read my blog (It will not reach them probably) please make the requirement limited and make the pay range mandatory.
Some likes or comments on something. For the sake of humanity I don't want to know what my connections are linking and commenting on, please just remove this feature or make it an optional feature so that people who want it can enable it (Hopefully no one wants to).
It's all fake. There is no measure to check if something is fake or not. For instance, I have added in my experience that I am working at Google as a Frontend Architecture from Jan 2020 and It is showing on my profile. Check it here.
I could go on like this for hours, but I think you get my point.
Alternatives of LinkedIn.
- Github. Github is a great website to show your coding experience and your consistency through daily commits. However, it is only limited to developers.
- Dev Community. Dev.to is a great blogging site, and I get plenty of offers from my Dev profile.
- Hashnode. It is also a blogging site. It offers a lot of features free of cost.
- Twitter. I don't promote Twitter as much as Github and Dev, but I would say it is better than LinkedIn.
Let me know what are your thoughts, agree, or disagree. Let me know in the comments.
Closing here This is shareef